Call for Abstracts
SLAS invites research scientists, engineers, academics and business leaders to submit abstracts for presentation at the 2018 SLAS Europe Conference and Exhibition, 27-29 June 2018, in Brussels, Belgium.
SLAS is a global community of more than 20,000 life sciences professionals—from academia, government and industry—collectively focused on leveraging the power of technology to achieve scientific objectives. Showcase your research on this global stage by presenting at SLAS Europe 2018.
Abstract submissions from academia, government and industry are welcome. Contributions from graduate students, post-doctoral associates and junior faculty are encouraged.
SLAS member and non-members are invited to submit abstracts.
|8 December 2017||Abstract submission deadline (Podium Presentations)|
|8 December 2017||Tony B. Academic Travel Award Podium Submissions due|
|13 to 20 December||Abstract review (Podium Presentations)|
|Early January 2018||Abstract acceptance communication|
|30 March 2018||Poster Abstract submission deadline|
|30 March 2018||Tony B. Academic Travel Award poster submissions due|
|5 to 15 April 2018||Abstract review (posters)|
|Mid-April 2018||Abstract acceptance communication (posters)|
The SLAS Europe 2018 scientific program features three educational tracks:
Emerging Investigative Biology
- Biological mechanisms involved in ageing and degenerative diseases
- Exploring target biology
- The impact of new technologies on the treatment of rare diseases
- Organoids and other complex biological systems in drug discovery and development
- Revolutions in phenotypic screening for modern-day drug discovery
- Next generation analytics
- Bringing biology and technology together to enable the early discovery pipeline: filling up the portfolio with novel attractive targets
- Future SAR Screening – Towards Better Drug Candidates
- Late stage discovery – Transforming the lead to candidate process through innovation.
For complete details regarding planned podium sessions for each track, view the Conference Programme.
If you cannot find your particular topic of interest listed in the detailed track descriptions or preliminary session titles within each track, but wish to report on research related to one of the broad track themes, we encourage you to submit your abstract for consideration by the SLAS Europe 2018 Scientific Program Committee.
Abstract Submission Requirements
To simplify your submission process, please have all of your materials together prior to entering your abstract.
To submit, you will need the following:
- Abstract title
- Abstract text (200 to 750 characters limit)
- Presentation preference: podium, poster or either (if applicable)
- Identify applicable track (preference only)
- Submitting, presenting author details (one per abstract); name, job title, organization, address, city, postal code, country, email address, business phone, biography
- Award nominations (if applicable)
- Identify co-authors; name, job title, organization, city, country, email address
- Abstracts relevant to any of the SLAS Europe 2018 tracks are requested and will be reviewed by the SLAS Europe 2018 Scientific Program Committee. To view a complete list and brief description of all SLAS Europe 2018 tracks, please click here.
- Podium presentations are 20 minutes in length including questions and answers.
- Poster presentations are scheduled for a 2-hour time slot as noted on the Poster Presentation Guidelines.
- The Primary Presenter will serve as the primary contact for SLAS and must have a valid email address.
- All abstracts must be submitted electronically via this online abstract submission system.
- The body of the abstract may not exceed 200 to 750 Characters.
- The title is considered separate from the body of the abstract and is not included in the word limit. Specific formatting requirements are included on the submission form.
- It is suggested that you first develop your abstract in a word processing program then copy and paste the information in the appropriate section. There is no spell or grammar check function in the online submission process. Please do not use all capital letters in your abstract or title.
- If accepted, your abstract will be published EXACTLY as it has been entered into the system. This includes company names, presenter names, etc… Submissions will not be edited in any way prior to publishing in conference materials.
- Fields denoted with asterisks (*) are required fields.
- At the close of the applicable submission period, all abstracts will be reviewed by the SLAS Europe 2018 Scientific Program Committee to determine which abstracts are accepted into the program. The SLAS Europe 2018 Scientific Program Committee reserves the right to accept abstracts into tracks other than the one selected by the submitter during the submission process.
- Those submitted as podium abstracts but not accepted for the podium program will be reviewed for a poster submission if indicated as such by the submitter during the submission process.
- Podium presentation confirmations will be distributed by early-January 2018.
Abstract Acceptance and Notification
- A member of the SLAS Professional Team will contact all selected abstract submitters with information regarding scheduling, speaker agreements. Speakers agree to use the organizing secretariat mail box email@example.com as the primary source for communicating speaker information.
- It is expected all speakers will adhere to policies and deadlines established to ensure accurate and timely information to SLAS members.
- Primary Presenters are responsible for communicating with co-authors regarding acceptance or rejection, deadlines and all other submission details.
- Whenever possible SLAS will record presentations and make those recordings available to members and participants. In some cases, webcasting or streaming of sessions may be offered as well. All speakers will be required to provide SLAS with the permission to record, broadcast, edit, transcribe, archive, duplicate, distribute, reproduce and sell any written or visual material submitted in connection with presentations at this SLAS europe conference in any media now existing or developed in the future.
- SLAS presenters are required to agree to the speaker guidelines and releases by signing the speaker guidelines which will be sent per email.
- Accepted poster presentations will be required to physically present the poster during a two-hour time slot as indicated in the acceptance notification.
- Presentation confirmations will be distributed according to the approximate timeline below:
◦ Podium Presentation confirmation: by early January 2018
◦ Tony B. Application confirmations: January 2018
◦ Poster Presentation confirmations: mid-April 2018
Selected speakers must agree to the following:
Please read the policies carefully and indicate your agreement below. All presenters are required to agree to these policies.
Unless specifically designated, the SLAS scientific program is a non-commercial forum. Speakers are to refrain from the use of brand names and specific product endorsement whenever possible. Under no circumstances should the society’s podium be used as a place for direct promotion of a speaker’s product, service, or for monetary self-interest. Negative remarks about a particular company or brand are also not appropriate.
All authors understand that the presentation title, abstract, bio and author information will be published online at slaseurope2018.org and in the Abstract Compendium. SLAS reserves the right to edit title and description for promotional purposes.
To improve the transition between individual speakers, SLAS has instituted a policy requiring that all audiovisual be limited to PowerPoint presentations. Presenters are permitted to supply handouts at the session; however, SLAS will not duplicate such material and all costs associated with those handouts are the responsibility of the presenter. SLAS does ask that all podium presenters drop their presentation off at the Speaker Ready Room onsite at SLAS Europe 2018 as per details included in the official confirmation. Laptops are provided in the presentation rooms and SLAS asks that all presenters use those laptops rather than providing their own.
SLAS values the diversity of its membership and the contributions each member makes to the education of its members. SLAS will not tolerate comments of a sexual nature nor negative remarks about ethnicity, alternative lifestyles, or physically or mentally challenged individuals. Profanity is prohibited. Speakers must refrain from overt statements or pointed humour that disparages the rightful dignity and social equity of any individual or group.
Those authors whose abstracts are accepted are responsible for their own travel, lodging and conference registration expenses. Waiver of registration fees will be considered upon request for those requiring financial assistance.
All presenters must be registered as full conference participants. Limited funds may be available to assist with travel and/or hotel funding. These funds are based on availability and financial need.
All poster presenters must be registered as full conference, unless you are registered as an SLAS Europe exhibitor.
Contact the organizing secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.